8.09.2009

Before The Music Ends: 8.9.09



Before I get into my post, which is long overdue, I have to start off with a quick HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our awesome blog editor Farzad... yes, he is one year older and I highly suggest you bombard his email with reminders of him getting old and crusty! It's been a while, but I'm back from vacation with lots of things to write about: concert reviews, music reviews, new music, and my usual ramblings. But I don't want to bore you so I'll stick to my review of the weekend concerts here in San Diego. One thing I did discover on my travels throughout Spain.... I realized just how much I hate techno/trance/house music. Sorry.


As I get ready to make my big move from San Diego to Los Angeles in the next week, I decided to spend my last weekend checking out tons of shows. To start off: The Airborne Toxic Event at the Del Mar Racetrack. Now, every year after the races, an artist or band perform in the middle of the racetrack. This year though, they moved it to the courtyard, which makes for less space for people filled with obstacles (fountains, bushes, etc), but also makes for a better sound. The band went on stage to a crowd of about 500 people and they rocked!! They played most of their self titled debut album including their very first single
Does This Mean You're Moving On? and the current chart toppers Sometime Around Midnight and Wishing Well. They did a cover of The Smiths and with lead singer Mikel Jollet's vocals, he sounded very close to Morrissey on This Charming Man. Here's whats cool about this band; aside from the traditional ensemble of drums, guitar, bass, and vocals, they also have a classically trained violinist, Anna Bulbrook, who is just breathtaking all around. If you haven't heard of these guys (and girl) I HIGHLY suggest you do, as they were named by Rolling Stone Magazine one of the top 25 bands of 2006. Another highlight of the weekend was the No Doubt Reunion show. I'm going to say this even at the risk of being murdered by fans, I'm not a big No Doubt fan. I'm what I call a whatever fan. But I will say that they do put on a fantastic show, not to mention that Gwen Stefani has the best abs I've ever seen! My main focus at this show was the opening act, The Sounds. They are one of my favorite bands around, and I really do consider them to be the new Blondie. Maja, the lead singer is one of my rockstar hero(ine)s and although they only played 5 songs off their new album, Crossing the Rubicon, and 2 from their first, Living in America. I can not wait for their headlining tour this fall. The second opening act was none other than Panic! At The Disco... or whats left of them. Since Ryan Ross leaving the band, there seems to be a void to what Panic used to be. Ross was the brains behind the band, having written both the lyrics and the music. Brandon Urie is still singing away and continues to be the face of the band, but he just doesn't have IT anymore. His voice was pretty bad last night. I hate to say it, but its true. It's like he can't go as high as he used to, which marked his signature singing style, and he would crack and trail off. There were points where my friends and I would look at each other and go... what....?? It is with a heavy heart (lol) that I say that this seems to be the end of Panic! At The Disco. They had a sophomore slump with their second album, trying too hard to be the new Beatles (it aint gonna happen boys!) and now with Ross out of the picture, there just doesn't seem to be anywhere for them to go from here. Sorry all you tweens who are probably crying your eyes out.

I also attended the North Park Music Thing, but I will not bore you on all the amazing panels I sat through and all the information I got- if you want to know anything about the panels and information about the industry, email me dalit@themensfashionblog.com. But I will say that Dynamite Walls, a local San Diego band, performed and although they played a random set (2:00 pm in the close to empty beer garden), the few people that were there seemed to have enjoyed it tremendously. I am using this as my transition into this week's new music obsession: Dynamite Walls. They formed in 2006 and are lead by Tom Pritchard who also serves as the songwriter. These guys take what they do seriously, making music their entire life. And it shows with their music, as well as when you watch them perform. I've had the priviledge of watching them several times around town, and once as a band I once worked with, War Stories, opened for them at the Beauty Bar. Their songs are a blend of happy songs that make you laugh ("
Sold drugs to pay the rent.... I made a fortune") to songs that describe the hopelessness of the American life. I'm sitting tight waiting for these guys to blow up, I really am. So because of that, I'm including the video for their song "Kiss & Ride"... enjoy and love it like I do.



I have TONS of stuff the write about this week, so keep checking in... this was the sunday night/weekend update, so this week you'll be getting a SHIT TON of new music for your lovely little ears.

Keep on Rockin'

Dals

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home