7.06.2009

City Spotlight: San Francisco


Fisherman's Wharf
I recently travelled to San Francisco and, as I had never been there before, I really didn't know what to expect. I've heard lots of stories about the great Sourdough Bread, the Golden Gate Bridge, Trolleys, and, of course, the interesting people. Upon landing at SFO, we boarded the BART (Bay Area Regional Transportation) to our hotel downtown. When we emerged from the underground transportation system, it was like stepping into a movie, completely surrounded by tall buildings. One thing that caught me off-guard was the large homeless population but, then again, I'd never considered how big the city actually was. I'd recommend taking a couple of hours to get used to your surroundings before you start your sightseeing. But don't take too long!....you'll miss out on the good stuff.

I read an online review about San Francisco and the article warned readers of Fisherman’s Wharf because it reminded the writer of a "third world country and carnival combined". This didn't bother me at all, mainly because one of the reasons I wanted to go to SF was specifically to visit Fisherman’s Wharf.

The second day, we took a trolley to the Wharf [only $1.50/roundtrip I might add!]. That's amazing for public transportation in my mind, since it usually costs around $6-$8 in Denver to go half the distance roundtrip. When we'd arrived at the Wharf, I was stunned. It looked nothing like how that critic described it as. The Wharf had lots of families, beautiful scenery and a smorgasbord of small shops. The view was unbelievable; the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, and the Bay Bridge were all in sight.

The best place I found to grub is Bistro Boudin, serving world-famous San Francisco sourdough bread. Try a bread bowl with New England clam chowder and you'll be blown away! For you thrill-seekers, take the Rocket Boat Tour for an adrenaline rush to get you fired up. This high speed journey takes you on an accelerated tour under the Bay Bridge and around downtown San Francisco.

If you're planning a little summer getaway, San Francisco makes for a perfect destination! Happy Travels!

Click HERE to visit San Francisco's official visitor's site

-Joey

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home