6.08.2009

Before the Music Ends. 06.08.09

Dalit @ N.A.R.M.

Yesterday marked the kickoff the annual National Association of Recording Merchandisers, and I just had to be there. Let me just clear this up that it was not just a convention to bring together all members of the industry, but rather it was a convention featuring labels, artists, distributors and retailers to discuss music content delivery. What this means is with the industry changing dramatically now, music distribution has also changed, and as we turn into a more digital society, the industry is working hard to see just how we can monetize off it. This convention runs through Wednesday June 10, but seeing as how I am not an established industry professional (yet), I was unable to attend to rest of the convention, but was able to go to the Crash Course yesterday.

If there is anybody out there that is interested in getting into this business, this was the place to be, but if you couldn’t make it, I am more than happy to share what I learned. Rick Bengloff of A2IM and Ted Cohen of TAG did an amazing job of moderating the panelists consisting of major distributors, label execs, retailers, etc. and the attendees were engaged and interactive. I am the kind of person who researches EVERYTHING to make sure I know what is going on, and I walked in thinking that I knew enough of the basics of the industry and that this would only serve as a refresher and a way to network and promote myself and my company. I was wrong!!! There is so much to this industry that one crash course could never be enough to even begin to describe what’s going on.

Here’s my crash course as to what I learned yesterday:

1. Every artist, label, or company no matter what size needs to register with SoundExchange because they make sure that the artists and labels get the money from the royalties that would normally just be lost.

2. 98% of what record labels release fail

3. In order to effectively promote your music, embracing ALL channels of promotion is key to success… Using old school methods like direct mail handouts is actually more effective than email because a physical mail requires you to look at it before throwing it away; email can easily be discarded or gets lost in Spam Folders

5. Face to face contact is important between an artist and customers to sell music because it has a 16 second window of opportunity for impression. Those 16 seconds with one person has the ability to travel to 100 people around them.

6. Social Networking Sites are complimentary to artists’ presence. They should not be the sole or the most important aspect of artist communication.

The WEA/Rhino hosted Welcome Reception was excellent. On the terrace of the San Diego Marriot overlooking the harbor and Coronado Island, it was the perfect place to enjoy cocktails (on the house!) and amazing food, while networking and meeting new people. The theme was the 40th anniversary of Woodstock, “Love The One You’re With”, and I took an amazing photo with a new friend in 60s outfits… unfortunately that picture will have to wait until I pick it up from where I left it yesterday. The industry showcase featured performances from Sugar Ray (you’re allowed to chuckle…), Filter (awesome show), The Pink Spiders, State of Man, and a few other people I totally missed. All in all, for a newbie in the business this was a CRITICAL thing to attend, and if there is anybody out there looking for where to start, get online and find these panels and conventions and get out there and make yourself known. I promise you one thing, if you don’t go out and look for it, no one will come looking for you.



The Current Obession of the Week is a local band called The Getdown, my first band as an independent manager! They are awesome and fun and can totally rock the house! No link this week as we are BRAND NEW and getting ready to take over the world! As we prepare to promote and record new stuff, we’ll be posting videos online. For now check out www.myspace.com/thegetdown.

Stay Rockin’!


-Dalit Troyce, Music Editor

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home