6.11.2009

Tech of the Week

iPhone 3G S....Worth it?
In my humble opinion, no. What is the new iPhone 3G S, if not a sliiightly souped version of its predecessor? In a world where image is [almost] everything, why spend $399.99 on something that looks like whats already in your pocket?
As a dedicated Mac user, I've been jonesing for an iPhone since I first heard of its creation. Currently, I'm using a Blackberry Curve 8320....and I love it! It does [almost] everything the iPhone does minus the fancy packaging. I've used an iPhone in the past and truthfully, I loved it. If I could have kept it, I absolutely would have. I just couldnt stand the fact that there was no physical keyboard. I'm a guy and guys have big fingers, it is nearly impossible to type fast on this thing. If I were a slow-typer, I'd be fine with it. But I'm not, so I went back to my Blackberry.
The new iPhone has almost identical housing to the previous iPhone 3G. The changes are found on the inside. A faster processor and a more powerful camera, for the most part. The true goods come with the new operating system; OS 3.0.
The new operating system ushers in a new era of iPhone functionality. The most eagerly awaited feature being MMS messaging [and copy/paste functionality and video rec. capability!]. These will be the main updates to the new OS but the current apps will also be receiving minor modifications, most of which will probably have to do with adjustments to processor speed.
While it would be nice to have a new iPhone, T-Mobile currently has my life under contract. Not that I'd ever give up my Blackberry, mind you, just that it may make web-browsing significantly easier. Thats one of the great things about the iPhone; ease of use. Of all the phones I've ever used [and trust me, that's A LOT of phones], the iPhone boasts the easiest user interface. There's nothing easier than simply touching the icon and getting what you want.
Let me just say this, if an iPhone 3G S just haaaappened to find its way into my pocket, I wouldn't be disappointed. But if you've already got the 2nd gen iPhone 3G, stick with it. The new OS will likely give you most of the goodies from the "new" iPhone 3G S without the hefty price tag.
-Farzad

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home